Why do startups need ISO 27001?
- Better be prepared than reactive – no matter if you are waiting for your customers or VCs to request you to prove your security status or you want to be prepared against cyber-attacks.
- A proper implementation protects you from GDPR fines (which can be up to 4% of your annual turnover).
- Data losses not only lead to contractual penalties but also implicate loss of reputation, loss of sales, or complete discontinuation of business operations.
- Easy integration – for startups an ISMS can be easily integrated into these young companies as they are more flexible in their growing phase.
- Transparency and improvement – within the ISO implementation project organizations understand that they have not been protected in the right way in the past.
- Follow a comprehensive security framework – ISO provides clear guidance and improves the maturity of security-relevant processes right from the beginning.
- Better sales – young companies have a competitive advantage compared to non-certification holders.
- Show what you got – the standard provides a simplified assurance and is used as international proof for information security.
- Clean up and enable – young companies are often less regulated, e.g. employees use different private notebooks, cloud tools of choice, and other shadow IT for business-relevant activities. The standard helps you to identify, evaluate and reduce risks without restricting the dynamics of the company.
- Get your investment – Investors take a look at the Due Diligence (and the information security strategy) of startups. ISO proactively enables and helps to fulfill these high requirements.
- Learn from the best – feedback from industry experts (e.g., auditors) allows you to discuss best practices and your current challenges.
- Save money – cost savings are measurable, e.g. for incident cases.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!